Congratulations Sam, and all other nominees!!! See the full list of nominees here.
Archive for the 'News' Category
Uncivilized Books has merged with Grimalkin Press, and we now have Grimalkin titles available for purchase on our website, including the very popular interactive children’s book Little Grey Splot, and Simon Moreton’s newly released Plans We Made! Check them out!
We are happy to announce that with the launch of his new book, New Construction, Sam Alden has release events this week in Brooklyn, Montreal, and Toronto.
- On Tuesday, September 22, Sam will be at WORD Bookstore in Brooklyn, where he will be joined by cartoonists Cathy G. Johnson and Kevin Czap. More information about this event can be found here.
- On Friday, September 25, Sam will be doing an advance reading at the Librarie Drawn & Quarterly Bookstore in Quebec, Montreal. Information available here.
- On Saturday, September 26, Sam will be at The Central in Toronto at an event presented by the Beguiling. He will be joined by Michael DeForge, who will interview Sam about his life and career. More information is available here.
If you will be in Brooklyn, Montreal, or Toronto, be sure to come out to these great events!
Pre-order New Construction here.
Tuesday, September 22 at 7:00-8:30 pm
126 Franklin St., Brooklyn, NY 11222
Friday, September 25 at 7:00 pm
Librarie Drawn & Quarterly Bookstore
211 Bernard Ouest
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Saturday, September 26 at 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
603 Markham Street
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6G 2L7
We are getting excited about this year’s SPX, which is coming up this weekend, September 19-20! SPX, or The Small Press Expo is a cartooning and comic arts festival that takes place every year in Bethesda, Maine. It is also the event where the celebrated Ignatz Awards for outstanding achievement in comics or cartooning are presented.
Uncivilized Books will be there along with a bunch of our authors, and we will have a ton of new titles! Here’s what’s new:
- Sam Alden will debut New Construction.
- Caitlin Skaalrud will debut her new book Houses of the Holy.
- Jason Little will be supporting Borb, which has been nominated for an Ignatz award for Outstanding Comic!
- We will also be unveiling Simon Moreton’s new book Plans We Made, Derek Gieson’s new mini comic Doomin, and a second edition of Madeline McGrane’s sold-out Ice Heist.
- Our publisher, Tom Kaczynski will be running our Table (A8-9), and will be selling copies of his book Beta Testing the Apocalypse, published by Fantagraphics. Ask him about Trans Terra… I’m sure there’s a good answer!
For more information about the festival, check out the SPX website.
Table A8-9! We hope to see you there!
Uncivilized Books is on Instagram! Be sure to follow us @uncivilizedbooks for event photos, book design and comics images, and behind-the-scenes looks at the comics publishing process!
Follow us here.
The cartoonist responsible for Glenn Ganges now has a column at The Comics Journal, and his inaugural effort focuses on Autoptic, Minneapolis’ only festival dedicated to independent culture. He reports on those organizing, his recent move to Minneapolis and the stomach flu.
Autoptic is the weekend of August 8th and 9th. Read Huizenga’s column here.
Today, find four new offerings from Uncivilized Books, including Laura Park’s latest issue of Do Not Disturb My Waking Dream. Scroll to see covers and read brief descriptions of each. Head to our website to order.
The latest mini-comic by acclaimed MOME cartoonist Laura Park!
Lemurs, medical advice, cats, how to be a cartoonist, dogs, anatomy lessons, did we already mention the Lemurs? Every page comes packed with Laura Park’s amazing cross hatching! Pre-order today, and receive in August.
A new collaboration from writer Alec Berry and cartoonist Andrew White.
Jack finds Aulisio slumped over in a bar. Is Aulisio a wreck with something still to give, or a ghost best left behind? Those Goddamn Fuckers is a short observation of a voyeur committed to a man without a scapegoat.
Part of our Uncivilized Lab program. Comics by our interns and other experiments.
Suitcases full of cash, ghostly gangsters from the 1920′s, and a chase on a frozen lake. Ice Heist is a cool adventure comic from Madeline McGrane.
Also part of our Uncivilized Lab program.
From Rachel Topka comes a love story … of sorts, between a chubby homunculous and a centaur … we think. Speakeasy is crazy, disgusting and hilarious.
We’ll debut two books at this year’s MoCCA Arts Festival: Borb from Jason Little and David B.’s Incidents in the Night: Book 2. Jason will be in attendance, as well, to meet readers and sign copies of the book. We’re super excited about the show and the new space! Find us at Table 317 on the third floor. Further information at the official MoCCA site.
Our Minneapolis neighbors at Grimalkin Press are doing a Kickstarter for Simon Moreton’s new book, Plans We Made. It’s great looking book and we’re planning on helping them with distribution. After just a couple of days it’s already 40% funded! Check it out, and give ‘em a little push to get closer to their goal.