Uncivilized Books is turning 3! Today marks our third year of publishing. To celebrate, Moon Palace Books will host a get-together and signing. Afterwards, we’ll move the party to the nearby Du Nord Distillery for drinks.
Artists signing include Caitlin Skaalrud (Houses of the Holy) and Peter Wartman (Over the Wall). We will also be debuting New Construction by Sam Alden and Plans We Made by Simon Moreton!
The event will take place at 3:00 p.m. at Moon Palace Books in Minneapolis. More information is available here. We hope to see you there!
Sophie Yanow, whose Ignatz-nomitated book War of Streets and Houses was published by Uncivilized in 2014, has released a new comic, “Gaslight,” on her blog. The comic is a powerful, personal short story which also appears in the new Rod and Cone anthology My Pace.
Read the full comic here.
Find her book here.
Joann Sfar’s Pascin is featured in an article by Tobias Carroll about historical and biographical comics at Biographile. Comparing different approaches to representing biography in comics, Carroll writes that “Pascin represents a more experimental side of comics-as-biography,” explaining that Sfar’s stylistic shifts offer insight into Pascin’s mental states, rather than presenting a more linear biography.
Read the post here.
Get the book here.
Laura Sneddon at Publishers Weekly has released a preview of Caitlin Skaalrud’s Houses of the Holy! She writes:
Skaalrud’s graphic and poetic expressions of inner turmoil are affecting and honest, built over time through a collection of moody visual hints that point to mysterious past events in the heroine’s life.
Read the rest and check out the preview here.
Pre-order Houses of the Holy here.
Uncivilized Books has merged with Grimalkin Press, and we now have Grimalkin titles available for purchase on our website, including the very popular interactive children’s book Little Grey Splot, and Simon Moreton’s newly released Plans We Made! Check them out!
We are happy to announce that with the launch of his new book, New Construction, Sam Alden has release events this week in Brooklyn, Montreal, and Toronto.
- On Tuesday, September 22, Sam will be at WORD Bookstore in Brooklyn, where he will be joined by cartoonists Cathy G. Johnson and Kevin Czap. More information about this event can be found here.
- On Friday, September 25, Sam will be doing an advance reading at the Librarie Drawn & Quarterly Bookstore in Quebec, Montreal. Information available here.
- On Saturday, September 26, Sam will be at The Central in Toronto at an event presented by the Beguiling. He will be joined by Michael DeForge, who will interview Sam about his life and career. More information is available here.
If you will be in Brooklyn, Montreal, or Toronto, be sure to come out to these great events!
Pre-order New Construction here.
Tuesday, September 22 at 7:00-8:30 pm
126 Franklin St., Brooklyn, NY 11222
Friday, September 25 at 7:00 pm
Librarie Drawn & Quarterly Bookstore
211 Bernard Ouest
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Saturday, September 26 at 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
603 Markham Street
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6G 2L7
Joann Sfar’s latest book Pascin received a write up by Allyce Amidon in Foreword Reviews‘ Fall issue! Pascin is Sfar’s biography of artist Jules Pascin, translated to English for Uncivilized Books by Edward Gauvin. Amidon says the artists “is truly brought to life in Sfar’s skillful hands.”
Read the rest of the review here.
The book is available for pre-order here.
We are getting excited about this year’s SPX, which is coming up this weekend, September 19-20! SPX, or The Small Press Expo is a cartooning and comic arts festival that takes place every year in Bethesda, Maine. It is also the event where the celebrated Ignatz Awards for outstanding achievement in comics or cartooning are presented.
Uncivilized Books will be there along with a bunch of our authors, and we will have a ton of new titles! Here’s what’s new:
- Sam Alden will debut New Construction.
- Caitlin Skaalrud will debut her new book Houses of the Holy.
- Jason Little will be supporting Borb, which has been nominated for an Ignatz award for Outstanding Comic!
- We will also be unveiling Simon Moreton’s new book Plans We Made, Derek Gieson’s new mini comic Doomin, and a second edition of Madeline McGrane’s sold-out Ice Heist.
- Our publisher, Tom Kaczynski will be running our Table (A8-9), and will be selling copies of his book Beta Testing the Apocalypse, published by Fantagraphics. Ask him about Trans Terra… I’m sure there’s a good answer!
For more information about the festival, check out the SPX website.
Table A8-9! We hope to see you there!
If you love Eel Mansions and want to own a piece of the original artwork and support the artist directly, you are in luck! Derek Van Gieson is selling original Eel Mansions pages over at his Etsy store. Get yours while supplies last!
And if you haven’t, check out the book. Derek’s first full-length graphic novel is a bold, supernatural soap opera noir the AVClub calls “a nightmarish skull-f**k of a book.” It’s available on our website.